What kind of diagnosis do you
need? Choose one:
* Please call our office at 765-494-7071 if you have problems submitting photos.
About Digitally Assisted Diagnosis
The Digitally Assisted Diagnosis
area provides a standard method of submitting digital samples to
the P&PDL for
diagnosis or ID. Digital samples submitted to the Plant and
Pest Diagnostic Lab are assessed the same
charges as physical samples.
We recommend, due
to potential regional diferences in the occurrence of certain plant
diseases, and species of plants and insects, that residents of other
states first contact their local extension services and diagnostic
labs for assistance, prior to submitting digital or physical samples
to Purdue's Plant and Pest Diagnostic Lab (P&PDL). Follow this link for Plant
Disease and Soil Testing Services located in the United States. There will
be no additional charge for any related follow-up physical samples
that might be requested by diagnosticians who require more detail
for an accurate identification or diagnosis of the problem than is
provided by the digital images submitted.
General Digital Photo Tips
You can help us by following these guidelines:
- Please look at the images before sending them to us. If they look
out of focus to you, they will not be helpful to us.
- Send no more than five images per sample/question.
- When possible, please include size reference such as a ruler or a
coin. If taking a photo of a ruler, let us know units (ie. Size is
about 2 mm).
- For plant identifications, please include whole plant image, as well
as close-ups of plant parts (leaves, flower, fruit, etc.)
- As with actual samples, please include as much additional information
as possible such as: planting date, age of plant, chemicals used,
number of plants affected, where found, patterns, when symptoms first
Tips for Taking Digital Photos for Plant IDs
The following publications were prepared as guides for taking photos
of plants for identification:
(PDF documents require Adobe Acrobat to view and print.)